5.24.2011

Somebody's Turning 1: Part 3

I started making tissue pom-poms a few weeks ago for Daphne's party. I really just wanted to make sure I could pull it off -- so I made only two. I have to say, they didn't come out perfectly. I don't think I did anything wrong. I really struggled to get them to look full enough and ended up ripping them in a few spots. I'll use them anyways – I'll probably end up arranging them so that the sections I ruined aren't showing. Hopefully the next batch will turn out better.

I have to say, at times, I've felt silly for going to so much trouble for a first birthday. I worry that I'm coming off obnoxious or even over-the-top. Decorations are really important to me – they set the mood, in my opinion. This party for Daphne will be small. There will be no moon bounces. No clowns. No DJs. No photographers (except me!).

I've even felt guilty for asking people to attend birthdays (mine and Brian's included). I feel like I'm asking too much. Until I read this post at Kelle Hampton's blog Enjoying the Small Things

She says: "Here's what I think about birthdays: Celebrate them. Plain and simple. Whether you are two or forty-two. It's not a promotion. It's not a graduation. It's the anniversary of freaking life. And the older I get, the more I'm not okay with hearing people downplay their big day like it's no big deal."

"There may not be grand parties every year, but there will be celebrations--the confirmation that yes, I'm so glad you were born. A cupcake with a candle, a toast with paper cups, a lighter in the air floating to the chorus of a birthday anthem. I'll make it special because it is so worth recognizing. And I'm going to try and do better at remembering others' birthdays too. Less half-ass day-after texts. More showing up at random places with obnoxious balloon bouquets. Yes, that."

Our little angel is turning one next month and it IS a big deal. I will repeat this over and over when I start to second guess the time and effort I'm putting in to making her day special.

*P.S. Tissue pom-poms make great decorations for babies/kids rooms! These are hung in Daphne's room for now to keep the cats from devouring them, but I have a good feeling they'll be back in her room after the party!


No comments:

Post a Comment