11.07.2011

My New Eye Candy: Striped Built-Ins





























One day, Brian was at work. That same day, I decided that I was going to get all crazy-like and paint stripes behind our built-ins. I didn't tell anyone. Not even Daphne. I thought about it all day and anxiously awaited Daphne's nap time. I knew I could get just one section done within that glorious window of time. I knew if I told Brian, he'd probably insist that I used those fancy measuring tools (aka measuring tape). I've known all along in my heart of hearts that I'm pretty good at eyeing things. 20/20 vision since '83...what, what!

I started with the middle section because I could reach it without standing on something and Daphne couldn't reach it when she woke up. I decided that if I screwed something up, it was easy to paint it back. I started pressing down painters tape. I figured that if I planned the stripes to be about as thick as the tape, it would be pretty easy to eyeball the distance between the tape. In the end, you'd think I'd regret my decision to avoid measuring tools because that is how stories like this go. Spoiler, I didn't.

The only thing I did regret is not testing out a better painters tape. We've had issues in the past with the blue painters tape. As careful as I was to really press it down firmly, white paint still seeped through a little bit. I've heard some good things about the green painters tape, so in the future, we may switch over. I'm not sure why the green would be better than the blue, but I won't try to analyze it too much.

Over the past 10 months, the objects on the built-ins have shifted around. Items have moved to other places, back to the built-ins, and then moved to the basement -- our graveyard of reject home decor items. I have a tendency to get bored with things where they are and feel the need to make changes. I used to rearrange my room a lot as a kid -- so I guess this makes sense.

I haven't been able to stop staring at the built-ins. They are like candy to my eyes. I am so happy with the finished product. Moral of the story: don't tell your husband when you are going to drastically change something in your house and don't EVER measure anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment