1.30.2012

Playroom Revealed

Do you have a room in your home that you absolutely loathe setting foot in? The type of room that you keep the door shut to and only run in and out to get various items you need? Tell me everyone does. That was our basement to me for almost the last year.

When we moved in, we knew the basement was going to be one of the last spaces we touched. Over the year, it had become a dumping ground for anything we didn't have space for upstairs. Nothing was in order and it was certainly not baby-friendly. With the new baby coming in a couple months, I really wanted to have a space where Daphne could play and (hopefully) allow me to tend to the baby. While we have baby-proofed our main floor pretty well, treachery for a toddler still exists. Anything and everything Daphne can get her hands on in here are her toys. Toddler heaven.

For the first time in our lives, we actually taped up different paint swatches before we decided on the color. The light down here is low and we really wanted to see what it looked like under artificial light. Another requirement for this room was it's ability to double as a guest room. We do have a bathroom down here and now that all of our rooms upstairs will be taken, we wanted to have a place where people can sleep if they need to. We don't have a lot of space in the playroom, so we opted for the IKEA Manstad sectional sleeper. It opens into a full bed with storage underneath for sheets, blankets, and pillows.

This room is all about fun. I read somewhere that when designing a playroom, it would make a lot of sense to center the color scheme around the toys. This meant lots of color to work with. Daphne doesn't have much artwork to display just yet, but I was able to frame a finger painting she did a few months ago. I plan to add more ledges and more artwork through the years. The picture ledges are from IKEA. And for all the safety nuts out there -- the frames are all adhered to the wall to prevent them from falling off.


I made the pillow covers with my trusty new sewing machine. I have a tendency to go way overboard with throw pillows. Like to the point of people sitting on the floor because the pillows are taking up too much room. I really wanted to make more, but I refrained. I'm putting myself through throw pillow therapy.

One challenge we did face was finding something to fit the wall that separates the playroom from the office. In this space, we hung a TV and planned to have some sort of cubby furniture to keep toys. We wanted the cubby piece to fit the length of that wall perfectly. After some searching, we were able to combine two pieces from Target. Being the basket-freak that I am, we already had baskets to fit the open cubby holes. On top of the cubby piece, I have 4 boxes all labeled. One of them holds kid DVDs, two of them hold comedies we couldn't part with (we did a HUGE dvd clean out before we started this project), and one holds diapers and wipes. The basket next to the boxes houses our remotes and baby monitor. The whole thing is secured to the wall...and for good reason. I've caught Daphne climbing them.

You can see where the playroom opens up into the office. I put a tension rod up between the two rooms to give some separation and folded back behind the curtain is a baby gate. The office is not kid-friendly and is home to many sharp and dangerous objects. I probably shouldn't be allowed back there. The office is still a work in progress and won't be shown until a later date. It's coming along though and is looking great. I actually enjoy coming down here to do my work now. It's much easier to feel inspired in a space that oozes color and creativity. There are still things we want to do down here -- like add a large magnetic chalkboard and kid-sized table and chairs. But, we are happy with what this room has become and it is now serving its purpose. We all love it!

BEFORE

15 comments:

  1. Saw this on Pinterest... Love the playroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! The playroom looks fabulous! Where did you get the rug and for how much??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elise -- The rug was from Ikea but no longer available. I've had that question come up recently and was able to find a few that were comparable. Ikea has a few colorful rugs like this under $100! Thanks for reading! Be sure to follow me at everythingdesignish.com -- I moved!

      Delete
  3. Love this playroom! What paint color did you use? I'm looking for a similar color for our playroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristin -- I just went looking for the paint can...I can't locate it. I'm not sure what color it was! I know we color matched it. Check out the blog at everythingdesignish.com!

      Delete
  4. Hi where did you get your shelving unit from? I love it and have been looking for something similar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bianca -- the shelving unit is from Target. We mixed and matched two sizes, I believe. Good luck! The blog has moved to everythingdesignish.com. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Hi! Where did you get the light fixture, I love it!

    Thanks!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather -- the light fixture was from Ikea. It was a couple years ago, but they might still have it! The blog has moved to everythingdesignish.com. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Hi Heather -- the light fixture was from Ikea. It was a couple years ago, but they might still have it! The blog has moved to everythingdesignish.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw this on pinterest, obsessed with this play room! Its such a cool space for a little one! Thanks for the great inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really gorgeous playroom. Very simple and neatly done. How do you like the sofa? Is it comfortable enough? My children play on the bed every time we go through IKEA but I haven't sat on it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this room- it's beautiful yet cozy looking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where did you get the number bunting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel! I made it but am not using it any longer. I can send it to you if you pay shipping. Email me at dara.packer@gmail.com and it's yours.

      Delete