1.15.2013

Holiday Cards 2012

Oh hey. It's been a while. I'm still here...and wanting to be here more. Crafts are still happening, design is still happening, life is still happening. The posts are not. This space has been on my mind a lot. I have plans for it -- a new identity (a real one, not one I threw together during nap time) and new layout. Design is in my every day life, and I'm always very aware of it when it's there. I'm hoping I can get here more often. Because it is something I enjoy doing, and not at all something I feel I have to do (obbbbvvviously...).

When I share our holiday cards, I'm usually a little worried that I'll be jumping the gun -- not allowing all our friends and family time to receive them through the mail. I know they wait anxiously each year for our card, so I'd hate to ruin that surprise for them. Never fear...for this year, I'm so behind. Our cards have probably already made their way into the recycling bin. (And that's okay, because that is probably where yours is also! Reduce > Reuse > Recycle. We heart Earth.)

For our card this year, I spent a lot of time focusing on our outfits. I wanted bright colors and fun prints, while also avoiding matchy-matchiness. We've taken too many photos, all dressed quite drab, for the sake of matching. I used Maddy's plaid shirt as my base and worked from there. And yes, I know he will hate me for the yellow bow tie at some point down the road. I'll worry about that later.

Because I spent a lot of time fussing with clothing, I didn't spend too much time on the design. Simple was the way to go -- more emphasis on the color pops. I LOVE these photos taken by Liz Hough at Liz Hough Photography. They are our best to date. I didn't want to mess with a good thing. When I was looking through our gallery of photos, I noticed that our positioning made the outline of heart in a few of our family shots. From there, I decided a simple white background with photo-filled hearts would be perfect. I used a clean & modern serif font, pulling their colors from the photos. We have friends and family that celebrate different holidays, in fact, our household celebrates two. I sent out two different versions this year, an all-encompassing "Happy Holidays" card and a very specific "Merry Christmas" card. It's not my plan to do this every year, but the idea lent itself well to the design. And you know I can't resist that sort of thing.

I hope to be back soon. It's just that every evening (if I don't have "real" work to do) I face this internal struggle of whether to peel myself off the couch and be creative...or continue to zombie-watch MTV's latest exploit. The days are long and hard here and sometimes I need mindless (m)TV to shut my mind down. I'm not proud of it. It's just my truth.


Edited to add: Don't mind the new header, I'll likely be trying out new looks while I figure out what I want. Consider it an interim header for now. Unless I have another kid. Then you won't hear from me ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment